login info join!
Forums > Model Colloquy > A Question for Nude Female Models Search   Reply
12last
Photographer
Robert L Person
Cleveland, Ohio, US

It's always been curious to me why a beautiful young woman would strip naked to be photographed mostly by a stranger.  So my questions are: Why do you do it?  What enjoyment do you get?  Is it empowerment?  Why?  I'm just curious (and enjoying photographing you.) Thank you for responding.
Sep 16 11 06:06 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Mickey Maurer
Danbury, Connecticut, US

Robert L Person wrote:
It's always been curious to me why a beautiful young woman would strip naked to be photographed mostly by a stranger.  So my questions are: Why do you do it?  What enjoyment do you get?  Is it empowerment?  Why?  I'm just curious (and enjoying photographing you.) Thank you for responding.

Well I am not young but hopefully I meet the other requirement.  I am proud of my body as I worked very hard for it so I enjoy showing it.  I don't think it empowers me but it does make me feel proud of my accomplishments.  I have also come to learn that the best pictures of me are usually the ones with the least amount of clothes or the ones with none.

Sep 16 11 06:09 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Farenell Photography
Albany, New York, US

Robert L Person wrote:

This could have been phrased better w/o being condescending.

That being said...

- some do it for the money
- some because it is empowering
- some for the notority
- some see it as art
- some its just how they've always lived & see nothing inherently wrong
- some see it as celebrating God's creation (after all we were ALL born naked)

Sep 16 11 06:14 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Good Egg Productions
Orlando, Florida, US

I expect that every model has a different answer.  You've shot enough of them.. why not ask the ones you shoot?

You could write a book.
Sep 16 11 06:28 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Robert L Person
Cleveland, Ohio, US

Mickey, I'm almost twice your age.  So I'm well qualified to say that your pictures and you are young AND beautiful!!!!
Sep 16 11 06:28 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
DBVE Imaging
Fort Worth, Texas, US

Robert L Person wrote:
Mickey, I'm almost twice your age.  So I'm well qualified to say that your pictures and you are young AND beautiful!!!!

Your almost 82 years old?  Wow!

Sep 16 11 06:29 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Just Danielle
Petersfield, England, United Kingdom

I like it big_smile
I'm not ashamed of my body, it makes me feel sexy, I rather enjoy the money. I also love that look of disaproval when I tell people I'm a model.....a nude model when they question further big_smile
Sep 16 11 06:39 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Sarah LT
Orlando, Florida, US

Naked and nude are not the same thing.  I would NOT shoot nudes with a photographer who had the attitude that a girl was about to get naked in front of him.
Sep 16 11 06:39 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Mickey Maurer
Danbury, Connecticut, US

Robert L Person wrote:

Thank you very much!

Sep 16 11 06:54 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Enfire Photography
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

art. or the concept calls for it
^^modelme says
Sep 16 11 08:04 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Koryn
Boston, Massachusetts, US

I do not see being naked -whether you are in front of friends, or with a stranger- as anything "special," peculiar, or carrying any sort of particular significance. I feel no different naked than I feel clothed, not emotionally at least. Physically, nudity FEELS much better. I have always hated wearing clothing outdoors, and at the beach, and feel that requiring people to wear clothing at parks, and outdoor events, is kind of ... stupid.

I just spent the past few days at a nudist campground, walked around naked in front of strangers all day - swam, hiked, showered outdoors in an open shower, and no one seemed to care at all, because we were all naked, and completely comfortable with our bodies being visible to others. People did not stare at each other, sexualize each other, or judge. IMO, that is an ideal world.

I began working as a nude model at 22, and I am now retired at 28 (my 29th birthday is in two weeks). I remember the first time I modeled, how AMAZING it felt to strip those hot, restrictive clothes off, and just be real and natural. I wouldn't say it was addictive, so much as nudity is a part of who I am. Every single one of us is naked, under our clothes, in the way we interact with our own minds when we are alone and vulnerable with our thoughts.

Additionally, as Mickey pointed out, women who have worked hard to have attractive bodies are *proud* of our accomplishments. I am in no way as "built" or muscular as she is, nor will I likely ever be due to genetics and other factors, but the ridiculous amount of work I have put into achieving what I own right now - I am proud of my body. I'm proud of the 30 pounds I've kept off for 6 years. I'm proud of the core definition I've built; I'm proud of it. When I am 80 years old, I want to be able to look at the nude photos I've created, and still feel good about the hours of working out, and meal planning, I put in to having a body that is (for me) as fit and healthy as possible.  It will not last forever.
Sep 16 11 09:08 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
StudioLumina
Morganton, North Carolina, US

ShivaKitty wrote:
I began working as a nude model at 22, and I am now retired at 28 (my 29th birthday is in two weeks).

Congratulations and happy birthday!  You've created some beautifully artistic work, and it will be missed.

Sep 16 11 09:18 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Rich Burroughs
Portland, Oregon, US

Sarah LT wrote:
Naked and nude are not the same thing.  I would NOT shoot nudes with a photographer who had the attitude that a girl was about to get naked in front of him.

I don't follow your distinction. When I shoot art nudes with llamas, they get naked. Sometimes in front of me, sometimes in the other room and then they walk in. But naked is kind of a prerequisite to nudes.

Sep 16 11 09:32 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
ontherocks
Salem, Oregon, US

my boudoir clients are usually like "woo hoo!" at the end of the session. i think they feel like they've done something a little daring. of course for them it's usually just a one-time thing. and they're almost always doing it as a gift for their SO.
Sep 16 11 09:37 am  Link  Quote 
Model
_AmberRose_
New York, New York, US

Rich Burroughs wrote:

I don't follow your distinction. When I shoot art nudes with models, they get naked. Sometimes in front of me, sometimes in the other room and then they walk in. But naked is kind of a prerequisite to nudes.

+1
Naked and nude are exactly the same thing.

na·ked   [ney-kid]  Show IPA
adjective
being without clothing or covering; nude: naked children swimming in the lake.

nude   [nood, nyood]  Show IPA adjective, nud·er, nud·est, noun
adjective
naked or unclothed, as a person or the body.

Sep 16 11 09:43 am  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Model
Damianne
Austin, Texas, US

Money or a great photo, same as why I model clothed.
Also I don't really feel different being naked than I do being clothed.
Sep 16 11 09:45 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Eliza C
Monmouth, Wales, United Kingdom

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3365/3643354147_c8d5b57272_o.jpg

That is me at the Royal Academy in London where I modelled. As well as all the other top London Art institutions. I modelled for maybe 1000 London artists and not one ever asked that question.

So my question to you is why do you ask? smile

My answer is simple: I love Art ; and the nude form reduces us to our basic natural form free of cultural or fashion restrictions to make anatomical study or make artistic statements about universal human truths. Because both are beautiful. I like to inspire artists and take part in the creative process because I can't draw/photograph/sculpt myself very well but can see what would make a good image. And because of that input people pay me for my efforts.
Sep 16 11 09:51 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Eros Studios
Boston, Massachusetts, US

Just Danielle wrote:
I like it big_smile
I'm not ashamed of my body, it makes me feel sexy, I rather enjoy the money. I also love that look of disaproval when I tell people I'm a llama.....a nude llama when they question further big_smile

I love this attitude.  Wonder why it is so much more prevelent with European llamas as opposed to US llamas.

Sep 16 11 09:55 am  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Model
Damianne
Austin, Texas, US

Eros Studios wrote:
I love this attitude.  Wonder why it is so much more prevelent with European llamas as opposed to US llamas.

Why do you think it's more prevalent in European llamas?

Sep 16 11 09:57 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Mickey Maurer
Danbury, Connecticut, US

ShivaKitty wrote:
I do not see being naked -whether you are in front of friends, or with a stranger- as anything "special," peculiar, or carrying any sort of particular significance. I feel no different naked than I feel clothed, not emotionally at least. Physically, nudity FEELS much better. I have always hated wearing clothing outdoors, and at the beach, and feel that requiring people to wear clothing at parks, and outdoor events, is kind of ... stupid.

I just spent the past few days at a nudist campground, walked around naked in front of strangers all day - swam, hiked, showered outdoors in an open shower, and no one seemed to care at all, because we were all naked, and completely comfortable with our bodies being visible to others. People did not stare at each other, sexualize each other, or judge. IMO, that is an ideal world.

I began working as a nude llama at 22, and I am now retired at 28 (my 29th birthday is in two weeks). I remember the first time I llamaed, how AMAZING it felt to strip those hot, restrictive clothes off, and just be real and natural. I wouldn't say it was addictive, so much as nudity is a part of who I am. Every single one of us is naked, under our clothes, in the way we interact with our own minds when we are alone and vulnerable with our thoughts.

Additionally, as Mickey pointed out, women who have worked hard to have attractive bodies are *proud* of our accomplishments. I am in no way as "built" or muscular as she is, nor will I likely ever be due to genetics and other factors, but the ridiculous amount of work I have put into achieving what I own right now - I am proud of my body. I'm proud of the 30 pounds I've kept off for 6 years. I'm proud of the core definition I've built; I'm proud of it. When I am 80 years old, I want to be able to look at the nude photos I've created, and still feel good about the hours of working out, and meal planning, I put in to having a body that is (for me) as fit and healthy as possible.  It will not last forever.

Very well said. I also have been to nude resorts and loved it.  Shiva, we will have to meet up at a resort one of these days. I know there are a few in between us.

Sep 16 11 10:09 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
MKPhoto
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

This is quote from a very experienced published photographer from behind Iron Curtain,  The book is not in English and is set in a slightly different cultural setting of a communist country, but here is a quote (translated awkwardly):

Over last quarter century I;ve photographed close to a thousand women. They were a very diversified group and as diversified were the reasons for which they came to my studio. Some wanted to earn extra money, to supplement their (often meager) incomes, some were dreaming of a modelling career, with it's fame and money. There were some who came for pure curiosty or to test themselves in front of camera. Some were coming to satify their female vanity and finaly some came just to be able to take their clothes off and show their - in their own opinion - beatiful body. I think there is a grain of exhibitionism in every woman, which had a chance to be expressed here. I spoke with each and everyone of them, and regadless of their attributes, they had a  of becoming a model. I think that happens to very many young women and they "outgrow" it pretty quickly.
Sep 16 11 10:11 am  Link  Quote 
Model
KeiHoshiakari
Orlando, Florida, US

I enjoy it. I'm not always happy with my body, but I always at least generally like it. I'm proud to show off what I can do with my modelling, I like showing my pictures to my friends and my family, I like hearing feedback from people that enjoy what I'm doing. I'd rather pose nude than pose in a swimsuit or lingerie, it feels more natural to me. The money is pretty sweet too, I'd have to say, but I can also make money doing fetish work that's not nude. So that's not the main factor for me. I also find it amusing when somebody hears about what I do and gets that sorta flushed "Oh" look and you can tell they're thinking about it.

I guess I just like the overall package with nude modelling?
Sep 16 11 10:17 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Sierra McKenzie
Seattle, Washington, US

I don't have a problem with nudity.

I am fine being naked to create images, and it allows me to create my own hours and still go to school. If it were legal I would probably be naked much more than I am.

So for me it is art + comfort + money.
Sep 16 11 10:37 am  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Photographer
Rays Fine Art
New York, New York, US

I've never asked a model, but the reason sometimes pops up in general conversation.  Generally it's either that it's fun and she enjoys it or that's "liberating" (parentheses because the term could have so many referents and meanings which I've never pursued.).  I've only once had a model indicate in any way that she did so only because she could make money at it and quite frankly, she was terrible at nudes--stiff, deer in the headlights, and devoid of any personality in her nude pictures, although she was fine when clothed.
Sep 16 11 11:23 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Cwen
Washington, District of Columbia, US

It's art, we were all born naked, the human figure should be celebrated rather than shamed. I don't do it to feel or be sexy. There are very few shots in my port like that, but when people completely miss the aim of my art nudes and call it "sexy" or "attractive," I'm offended. It's not about that.

And I don't even approach glamour the same way as a lot of people. Composition first, sex-squint second.
Sep 16 11 11:31 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Laura UnBound
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Well, for one, I dont look at it as just 'stripping for a stranger'
Sep 16 11 01:00 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
MissSybarite
Los Angeles, California, US

Mickey Maurer wrote:

Well I am not young but hopefully I meet the other requirement.  I am proud of my body as I worked very hard for it so I enjoy showing it.  I don't think it empowers me but it does make me feel proud of my accomplishments.  I have also come to learn that the best pictures of me are usually the ones with the least amount of clothes or the ones with none.

This smile

Sep 16 11 01:04 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Sierra Sunshine
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Well, I used to be a dancer, and a bartender, both of which I was naked for part of. It just seems like normal progression to mature and grow into a new spiritual awakening (or at least awareness of one's self, and their sexuality) as they age and mature.
Sep 16 11 01:13 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
No One of Consequence
Winchester, Virginia, US

_AmberRose_ wrote:
Naked and nude are exactly the same thing.

The dictionary definitions do not capture the subtle nuances between the two words.

Sep 16 11 01:14 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Joel England Photo
Los Angeles, California, US

Lots of reasons.

The models I've worked with who do both nude and clothed work prefer nude work.

And as one of them put it, "I don't have to schlep clothes around."
Sep 16 11 01:19 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Click Hamilton
San Diego, California, US

Clyph wrote:
The dictionary definitions do not capture the subtle nuances between the two words.

What is the difference to you?

Sep 16 11 01:27 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Lawrence Guy
LAKE PEEKSKILL, New York, US

Sarah LT wrote:

How about "nekkid"?

Sep 16 11 02:28 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
No One of Consequence
Winchester, Virginia, US

Clyph wrote:
Click Hamilton wrote:

"Exposed" and "Unprotected" are alternative definitions of naked.    Nude does not carry those additional meanings, it simply means without clothing.

Sep 16 11 02:29 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Tansy Blue
London, England, United Kingdom

I model nude because I think it makes nice images.

Simple as.
Sep 16 11 03:53 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Henna N.
Gaithersburg, Maryland, US

Short answer: The art and the money.

And if I'm shooting outside in good weather: I love being naked outside.
Sep 16 11 03:58 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
theda
New York, New York, US

Eros Studios wrote:

I love this attitude.  Wonder why it is so much more prevelent with European models as opposed to US models.

I'd think it would be the opposite. I'd expect European models to be more nonchalant about nudity.

Sep 16 11 04:47 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Chelsea Marlo
Portland, Oregon, US

Damianne wrote:

Why do you think it's more prevalent in European models?

As an immigrant (not from Europe, but still) I can tell you that Americans are some of the biggest prudes there are. Europeans seem to have a much healthier view of nudity.

Sep 16 11 04:55 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Top Level Studio
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Click Hamilton wrote:

Nude is a natural state for a human body.

Naked is a person who's missing their clothes.

I shoot nudes.  I don't shoot nakeds.

Sep 16 11 07:12 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
QuietAsKept
Baltimore, Maryland, US

When I'm naked, I just feel free. When I compare my clothed shots to my nude shots, I look and feel much comfortable.

I also like to create art.
Sep 16 11 07:22 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Art of the nude
Olivet, Michigan, US

Eros Studios wrote:
I love this attitude.  Wonder why it is so much more prevelent with European models as opposed to US models.
Damianne wrote:
Why do you think it's more prevalent in European models?

This; I've worked with over a hundred models who love shooting nude; I don't know how many times I've gotten a "THANK YOU SO MUCH" type message from a novice.  Modeling nude, if you are ready and want to, is a wonderful experience.  Just as doing so if you aren't ready would likely be a bad experience.

Sep 16 11 08:18 pm  Link  Quote 
12last   Search   Reply

main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers